Salvatore joins presidential race

By BILAL MUHAMMAD

Former Student Government Board member Joe Salvatore has decided to run for SGB president,… Former Student Government Board member Joe Salvatore has decided to run for SGB president, pitting him against current board members Zach Ransom and Joe Pasqualichio, who have already announced their candidacies.

Salvatore decided that he might want to declare his interest in the presidency while studying in France last spring.

“I gave it some thought while I was over there,” Salvatore said, adding that his experience during his two-semester-long stint on SGB helped him focus his decision.

“I was good at mediating,” he said. “I’m good with dealing with multiple opposing personalities.”

He said that the president should seek not to please friends or appease voting blocs, but should work to bring different perspectives to the table. Salvatore said that these things often interfere with the seriousness of SGB.

“It shouldn’t be a drama court,” Salvatore said. “It’s a little more professional.”

Salvatore thinks that the professional environment that he hopes to create will require him to expel the cliques that have formed within SGB.

“I hope my board will congeal into one productive unit so we can effectively work together, so that we’re not split into sects,” he said.

Currently, Salvatore has a slate in mind, but the dynamics are still in the works.