New season favors politically incorrect humor

By JESSICA TONTI

“The Office”

Starring Steve Carell, Jenna Fischer, and John Krasinski

NBC, Tuesdays at 9:30… “The Office”

NBC, Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m.

Steve Carell had a successful summer as co-writer and star of the breakout hit “The 40-Year-Old Virgin.” Carell’s success could continue through the fall with new episodes of his show, “The Office,” which started its second season this September on NBC.

Carell stars as Michael Scott, an office manager at a paper supply company called Dunder Mifflin. Michael is joined by a group of quirky office workers who seem surprisingly normal compared to their peculiar manager. But Michael is an endearing character. He only lacks the intelligence and understanding to be discreet with his comments to co-workers.

“The Office” mimics the style of classic mockumentaries such as “Best in Show” and “This Is Spinal Tap.” The show joins information and interviews from separate characters and connects them with scenes of hilarious occurrences of daily office life. The plot of the show works harmoniously with the documentary form, adding more comedic flavor and multiple points of view.

The NBC comedy, based on the popular British series of the same name, embarked on its second season Tuesday, Sept. 20. The second season premiere, titled “Diversity Day,” is centered on Michael’s dream to diversify the office. Unfortunately, Michael’s idea of diversity is a series of shocking, politically incorrect activities and inappropriate comments that earn him a slap in the face from one of his fellow colleagues.

The humor of “The Office” could easily be lost on some viewers. The jokes are certainly not lighthearted, but are extremely humorous. Although this is simply the comedic style of the show, the jokes potentially could be eyed with distaste.

The premiere’s outrageous and offensive comments are lightened by the attraction between Jim Halpert and Pam Beesly, played by John Krasinski and Jenna Fischer. Even after losing a big deal, Jim sees the day as a victory after a moment he shares with Pam. Despite Pam’s engagement, the little sparks of attraction between the characters ease some of the bolder humor in the show. Jim and Pam’s magnetism will no doubt find its way into the plot again this season.

If you’ve been meaning to watch “The Office” but never got the chance, this season would be the perfect time to get acquainted with the daring comedy.