Kegel exercises improve sex for men, women

By ROSE AFRIYIE

Editor’s note: The sex column contains material that may be offensive to some readers.

The… Editor’s note: The sex column contains material that may be offensive to some readers.

The biggest part of being sexually savvy is being in shape. Sex is not just another run-of-the-mill, late-night activity. Unlike drinking, which requires little to no effort and usually has effects the morning after that aren’t pleasant, sex — done right — can be a fulfilling experience that lasts lifetimes after an orgasm. But consistently giving your partner satisfaction while also achieving the same is hard work.

Sex can almost be thought of as a sport. A significant amount of stamina and precision are required of an athlete to perform at the top of her game, and the same goes for sex.

Now, I’m not suggesting that you bring a playbook to the bedroom with a script of all the positions you want to try. I’m merely suggesting that people should train for sex similar to the way athletes train for a sport. Training involves exercise, and thus, sexually speaking, “sexercise.” Kegel exercises can be a “sexercise” that not only gets you in shape, but also has the ability to revolutionize your sex life by improving your overall performance.

First and foremost, don’t be swayed by myths. You don’t have to be a woman who has recently given birth, and men — yes men — can also get their kegel on. I know this may sound like a late-night infomercial but there is plenty to learn about these exercises by both men and women.

Kegel exercises involve contracting the muscles on your pelvic floor that normally are used to start and stop the flow of urine. These “PC” muscles, which are clinically known as pubococcygeus, are essential to one’s arousal and climax.

For men, kegel exercises increase the blood flow to their genital region while strengthening and toning the muscles vital to ejaculation. Thus, men who kegel have more control over the timing of their ejaculation and can therefore postpone it.

For women, these muscles enable them to control their orgasm while giving their partner satisfaction on a completely different level. It also increases blood flow, while strengthening and toning PC muscles. But the greatest benefit a woman who kegels has is the ability to regulate the frequency and intensity of her orgasms.

Of course, one’s overall health factors into these orgasmic benefits, but people are generally satisfied with the results. And this is how they work: Since we are most familiar with these muscles during urination, most experts suggest starting while urinating — this goes for men also — and practicing interrupting the flow of your urine.

When you get a strong handle of where your PC muscles are and how to exercise them, you can kegel outside of the bathroom. The easiest way to begin this exercise is by squeezing your muscles as tight as you can for three seconds. Then relax. See how many times you can do this before you feel tired.

Now pace yourself. Kegel exercises are no joke. While many people who kegel appear to just be standing still, after a few rounds of contracting and relaxing you might break a sweat. With any exercise it’s best to develop a routine that challenges you but isn’t painful.

Thus, if you can only do six squeezes to begin with, try doing three sets of six everyday. Gradually increase as each week passes. If you can get to about 30 squeezes in each set, then you only need to kegel three or four times a week.

Once you get a handle on these exercises, you’ll be able to show your partner what you’ve learned. In terms of pacing your orgasm, your best bet is to gradually squeeze your muscles when you feel that you are nearing an orgasm. This applies to both men and women.

For women, these exercises can be useful during sex by allowing you to relax your muscles when your partner goes in, and contracting when your partner pulls out to create a feeling similar to that of oral sex. Women who master this exercise can also experiment with Jade Eggs. These work by inserting a ball into your vagina then using your muscles to keep them from sliding out.

The long-term benefits of kegel exercises are also monumental, as they help offset the gradual changes that time and childbirth have on our nether regions. So next time you are walking to Schenley, sitting in class or writing a column — wink, wink — get your kegel on!

Remember, when it comes to sex, be safe, be smart and be savvy. E-mail your sex questions to sex@[email protected].