Condom gives women something they can feel

By ROSE AFRIYIE

Editor’s Note: This column contains sexual material that may be offensive to some readers…. Editor’s Note: This column contains sexual material that may be offensive to some readers.

You and your main squeeze have decided to sleep in on a Saturday morning. You wake up around 10am, fully in the mood. But unfortunately, your man is still asleep.

Being the creative woman you are, you give him a playful nudge and start a trail of kisses that starts on his lips and heads down to his chest. You continue to descend until you know you have his full attention.

As he blinks back sleep and you make a quick attempt to adjust your disheveled hair, it seems that foreplay isn’t an option and you both — morning breath and all — want to get straight to the point.

It seems that the interruptive, inevitable moment of putting on the condom is next in our narrative. Unfortunately for a lot of college students, this scene will be devoid of condom use.

In the era of HIV and the multitude of incurable STIs, having unsafe sex almost seems suicidal. However, even in the face of this knowledge, college students continue to take the risk.

Why is it so hard for us to protect ourselves? It seems that while sex can be addictive, unsafe sex is even more addictive. And when women allow men entry without protection, it’s often a point of no return.

Unfortunately the lines in after-school specials about sex are still prominent in our everyday situations: ” Baby, I can’t feel anything,” “You don’t trust me?” “Condoms smell funny.” These are things at college that become reasons for students to engage in intercourse that isn’t safe. But my emphasis is specifically on women, because whether they realize it or not, they have the power to either fulfill or deny men of their sexual dreams and desires by simply saying “no.” In realization of this, Trojan has recently introduced a new condom to spice up our sex lives and give women a little incentive to wrap it up.

Meet Elexa, the brand of condoms that has the potential to knock diamonds out of their position as girls’ best friends. To craft these new, thin condoms that lack the hospital rubber-glove smell of other brands, Trojan consulted 5,000 women who voiced their likes and dislikes concerning condoms.

It’s almost as if Trojan took a look at some of the top-selling sex toys that women can’t keep their hands off of and modeled a condom to bridge the gap. These condoms — worn by men, but focusing on a woman’s pleasure — are the complete package.

With four different models, the Elexa brand features products that range from the traditionally ribbed condom to one that comes with a ring that vibrates for 20 minutes. The most noticeable feature about some of these condoms is the bulbous tip that puts all other competing brands aimed at pleasing women to shame.

They cost about $10 for a pack of 12, with the exception of the vibrating condoms that costs $10 each. With all the new great things wrapped up in these condoms, it seems to be worth every cent.

For a lot of women who have entered the world of unsafe sex, enforcing the rules of safe sex to their partners can be difficult. Here is some advice on convincing your partner to make it safe.

Talk openly about the risks of unsafe sex. Cover all bases including birth control failure, diseases and even problems like urinary tract infections and yeast infections. Most women will agree that having sex with a condom also makes them feel a lot cleaner and safer afterwards.

Discuss the benefits of these condoms from the pleasure point of view. Some women don’t orgasm during sex. The great incentive provided by Elexa is the sexual potential of the vibrating ring and the bulbous tip.

Use these to your advantage, especially if you are not in that group of women who can’t orgasm. If you are, Elexa can make sex more fun and experimental. These condoms are a way to really explore and enhance your sex life.

Finally, be firm and don’t waiver. For this to work, you have to consistently promote safe sex — even in foreplay.

Now in the end, to most men — even as we begin the Elexa era, a condom might still be a condom. If all else fails, and I mean this, hit him with the ultimatum: safe sex or no sex.

Be confident in your goodies and everything else that complements your package. Every woman has something undeniably irresistible about her, and if some jerk is too dumb to realize it, keep stepping. Better to be safe than sorry that you contracted an STI.

Remember: When it comes to sex, be safe, be sexy and be savvy. E-mail Rose at [email protected].