Smith will anchor from four on defensive line

By BRIAN WEAVER

Secondary? Check.

Linebackers? Check.

Defensive line? Well-

With the clock ticking down… Secondary? Check.

Linebackers? Check.

Defensive line? Well-

With the clock ticking down to Pitt’s season-opening game with Notre Dame, head coach Dave Wannstedt’s overall defensive picture continues to fall into place. But the composition of the line is still a bit uncertain.

“I feel good about our secondary and our linebackers, we’ve just got to unfold the defensive line,” Wannstedt said. “That’s the one position that I’m not really sure [about].”

Defensive ends coach Charlie Partridge echoed Wannstedt’s sentiments.

“We have a lot of guys competing for playing time and starting assignments,” he explained. “That competition should raise the level of play from everyone significantly.”

With the loss of Vince Crochunis and Dan Stephens to graduation, the Panthers find themselves without a duo that started 36 of Pitt’s 38 games at tackle from 2002-2004. While this leaves the line with a shortage of downs under its belt, Partridge and defensive tackles coach Bob Junko have tinkered with the line to find a solution.

Junko has acknowledged that the loss of both tackles – especially Stephens and Crochunis, who were all-Big East honorees last year – leaves the Panthers with a lack of experience, but he feels the athleticism of the rest of the line will make filling the voids a little easier. The best example of that athleticism comes in the form of Thomas Smith, whom the coaching staff moved from defensive end to left tackle.

Smith, the most experienced remaining lineman, saw action in all 12 contests last season, starting in 11 of them. Junko is impressed by Smith’s quickness, and likes the possibilities that could result from the shift.

“Thomas brings a lot of potential to his new position because of his athletic ability,” he said of Smith, who was named preseason all-Big East by four major publications. “He’s an intense competitor, and we expect him to be a leader for us.”

At right tackle, last year’s top reserve looks to step into the starting role. Phil Tillman, a senior, spent the year behind Crochunis but played in all 12 games. He boasts the most experience of the competitors, but Ron Idoko looks to challenge for the top spot. A walk-on, the athletic Idoko has climbed through the defensive ranks thanks to his strength and work ethic, both of which Junko praises when talking about the tackle.

At defensive end, look for sophomores Joe Clermond and Chris McKillop to start at left and right end, respectively. Clermond moves into the starting role after seeing time as a backup last year. Vernon Botts, who also lettered in 2004, will push Clermond for the position.

McKillop looks to supplant junior Charles Sallet, who started nine games last year. McKillop saw action in 11 games last year, but separated himself from the pack with his performances in spring practices, performances that vaulted him to the top of the depth chart. Partridge looks for him to perform well in the upcoming season.

“While Chris lacks significant experience at defensive end, his motor will enable him to make plays and get to the quarterback,” he said.

The returning players will also have competition from a handful of freshmen. Rashad Duncan and Gus Mustakas were both all-state caliber players in Florida, and both look to challenge for significant playing time. In addition, Derrell Jones garnered numerous accolades in Maryland high school play.

Craig Bokor, an Athlon Sports “Big East Future Star,” will also push for time. Though he signed with Pitt in 2004, Bokor spent last fall at Valley Forge Military Academy. As a result, he had the opportunity to participate in spring practices, which gives him more experience than the other freshmen contenders.

The questions about the line could continue right until the season opener. But Wannstedt feels the competition in practice will instill the right kind of mentality in the players.

“They know they have to come out here every practice and earn it,” he said. “It will be the same type of attitude when we get into games.”