Dean of students selected

By BILAL MUHAMMAD

A spokeswoman for Pitt announced the selection of a new vice provost and dean of students… A spokeswoman for Pitt announced the selection of a new vice provost and dean of students Monday.

Kathy Humphrey, who is currently the vice president of student development at Saint Louis University, will replace Jack Daniel — who announced his resignation last October — July 1, representative Patricia White wrote in an e-mail announcement.

Humphrey spent most of her last five years at SLU developing and improving the relationship between administrators and students, a role she will now assume at Pitt.

In addition to acting as a University liaison, Humphrey worked to improve student housing options, student-community interaction and new student orientation.

“The educational experience should be seamless,” Humphrey said, explaining that student life inside the classroom and out should act in tandem.

Student Government Board President Brian Kelly believes her approach will have a positive effect on student life.

“Our student affairs has been trying to do that — integrate academics in student life,” Kelly said. “I’m extremely optimistic. At her school, for instance, she goes to student government meetings.”

Provost James Maher said he is confident that Humphrey will provide the vitality needed to help connect academics and student life.

“It is our goal that our students will become, more than ever, perceptive, reflective, contributing individuals within a diverse community of faculty, staff, administrators and fellow students,” Maher said.

Humphrey added that she wants to create an environment in which students feel they can grow into the people they want to be.

“It’s a core value of mine that all students are welcome,” she said.

Humphrey said she would develop a relationship with students by relying upon a skill that many take for granted: listening.

“The most important thing is that you must listen to everything around you, to what students are saying,” she said.

Humphrey asserted that a rapport between students and administrators is created by open conversation.

“I’m looking forward to getting to know University of Pittsburgh students and hopefully they’ll get to know me,” she said.