Swimmers claimed more titles at Trees Pool

By BRIAN WEAVER

Fresh off of their second-place finish at the Big East Conference Championships, the men’s and… Fresh off of their second-place finish at the Big East Conference Championships, the men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams got right back to work this past weekend, hosting the Eastern College Athletic Conference Championships Feb. 26-28. While Pitt only entered a handful of swimmers, the team came away with several titles.

Cynthia Snyder, winner of the Big East 100-yard breaststroke, took the ECAC Championship in the same event.

Kristin Brown continued her assault on the 200 freestyle, winning the ECAC title in the race. After setting a school record for distance in the opening leg of the 800 freestyle relay at the Big East Championships, Brown again swam a blistering time this weekend, missing the school mark by a scant 0.15 seconds.

For the men, Dave Montgomery trailed at the turn of the 100 breaststroke but swam his final 50 yards in 30.01 seconds for the win.

The Panthers now look to the NCAA tournament, the season’s final event. The teams will have to wait to see how the national times turn out before they know whether or not their swimmers have qualified. Should any Pitt team members advance, the women’s tournament will be Mar. 17-19 in West Lafayette, Ind., while the men wait until Mar. 24-26 to compete in Minneapolis, Minn.