Behemoth wall can’t keep Pitt students down

By BILAL MUHAMMAD

A Sedona-red monstrosity stands caged inside Trees Hall, covered with pieces of blue, black… A Sedona-red monstrosity stands caged inside Trees Hall, covered with pieces of blue, black and orange electrical tape bearing scribbled words and phrases like “Stroganoff,” “Cherry Orchard” and “Ecto Cooler.”

It is the new rock wall. A huge construction made of steel pillars, textured concrete and belay bars consumes one of the four walls inside the Trees Hall’s basketball court. Standing 25 feet tall, decorated with route markers and climbing holds, it challenges some, infuriates othersand, according to Cheryl Byron, does not bore anyone.

“It never gets boring, [because] you always have a way to challenge yourself,” said Byron, a rock-climbing enthusiast.

Indeed, when I faced the beastly wall, I knew that this unfamiliar obstacle would challenge me. And with more than 100 possible climbing routes, 18 belay bars to hold the ropes and numerous climbing techniques such as top-roping and bouldering, I didn’t consider boredom to be a danger.

Byron, along with Ethan Hull, the outdoor recreation coordinator, taught the basic ins and outs of climbing through rhymes and examples.

“Make a guy, give ’em a tie and poke ’em through the eye,” Byron said, providing a simple rhyme to tie a knot critical to top-roping. Top-roping, a method of rock climbing, uses two people: the climber and the supporter, known as the belayer.

After securing the hardware and harness around my midsection, I had to learn these knot-tying rhymes before I could finally climb. Considering the anti-ankle-roll material and the two inches of shock absorption within the mat surrounding the wall, though, it wouldn’t be too bad a fall.

I had to have someone support me to climb to the top. I could have chosen to do it without the ropes and harness — bouldering — but I would have been allowed to climb no more than 12 feet. Byron acted as the belayer, reaffirming that I shouldn’t worry because she knew what she was doing.

The rock wall is like an adult jungle gym: a place where adults can come and relive that childlike climbing sensation, Hull said. Not only does climbing offer a youthful experience, but “it [also] challenges your physical and mental abilities,” she said.

“It’s not just about climbing to the top. It’s about mentally completing it,” he said.

Midway up the wall, I wasn’t thinking about getting to the top. I worried more about making sure I didn’t fall, slip or choke. I had to push my fears aside and go farther up the wall.

“[The] element of fear gives you that rush,” Hull said.

When I reached the top, I saw a smiling belayer 20 feet below me, telling me I’d done a good job. But now I had to come down. After a few seconds of hesitation, I listened to her and just dropped. Byron controlled the rope and eased me down.

I came down with sweat on my forehead, a pounding heart and a wide grin. I had conquered the physical, mental and technical aspects of climbing that Hull had said were imperative to getting to the top. Challenging the wall around me were skinny climbers, muscular climbers and heavyweight climbers — a noticeable medley of students.

“Physical attributes don’t mean anything when it comes down to climbing,” said Nate Daily, a seasoned climber.

“If you’ve got a friend or someone to coach you, [then] it’s for everyone,” he said.

The rock wall offers climbing routes for advanced, intermediate and beginning climbers. The staff also teaches different climbing techniques, from lead climbing to sport climbing. Coupled with the number of belay bars, the wall gives climbers of all skill levels opportunities to challenge themselves in numerous ways.

Climbers-to-be do not need robust muscles, nor do they need any knowledge of rock climbing; the staff has got that covered. Prospective climbers can take the wall at their own paces, and it’s very low-impact, Byron said.

When I took off my borrowed climbing shoes, harness and hardware, I still had a warm smile plastered on my face. The wall didn’t seem as ominous as I had first thought, but it still showed me that I could have fun and challenge myself at the same time. “I challenge anybody to try rock climbing and say they don’t like it,” Hull said.