Top five albums that don’t find many lists

By ADAM RAUF

2004 was a year full of ups and downs, much like any year. Unfortunately, it was more of a… 2004 was a year full of ups and downs, much like any year. Unfortunately, it was more of a year of unimpressive albums and letdowns. Luckily, there were a few albums that stood out from the rest of the pack.

1. Gremlins ‘ Butterflies — Self-titled Demo

Yes, a demo makes it to the top five for the year. This Pittsburgh band is the perfect amalgamation of Radiohead, Mogwai, Sigur Ros, and Godspeed You Black Emperor! Gremlins ‘ Butterflies is a very young band that writes incredible music that will bring tears to your eyes. Keys, strings and outrageous outer-space sounds bring this band to life. This is a major and important band to look out for in 2005. And for a demo, you get two songs that clock in near the 20-minute mark. Wait until you hear the full-length. See them live, and visit their Web site: www.gremlinsandbutterflies.com.

2. Isis — Panopticon

A band known for sludgy and progressive songs has gotten even more spaced out. Maybe it was a lot of drugs, but whatever they have been taking is making their sound even more incredible. Gone are the long and screaming pieces that have been replaced by progressively beautiful, melodic passages that will blind you with their beauty. This goes for fans of any genre including, but not limited to, metal.

3. Hot Snakes — Audit in Progress

The best rock ‘n’ roll act of 2004 was San Diego’s Hot Snakes. Reuniting and hitting the road just in time for Election Day, the album features some of the most tightly knit and ferociously powerful songwriting by these guys to date. This is for fans of all out rock ‘n’ roll with intelligent riffing and lyrics that are not trite.

4. Kaki King — Legs to Make Us Longer

Kaki King is quite possibly the queen of all acoustic guitar. This singer/songwriter is beyond even most male players, as she incorporates percussive elements right on her own guitar. She is the one-woman band. You’ll find plenty of beautifully written music with her own unique style and fingertaps that would shock Yngwie Malmsteen. Yes, she is really that good.

5. Sonic Youth — Sonic Nurse

After all of these years, the ‘Youth has still got it. Fans of Murray Street will embrace this album, as the band continues putting out accessible yet compelling material.

Overall, 2004 was somewhat disappointing of a year for music. There were a few wonderful releases that made the year seem decent, but it doesn’t compare to the past years of music we’ve had. Thankfully, 2005 has already released some hints of what is to come. We should expect to see either the most pretentious, terrible album of all time or a brilliant idea of progressive rock concealed in a concept album with The Mars Volta’s Frances the Mute. The Halifax Pier/Isis/Neurosis super group called Red Sparowes has been making waves recently as well, not to mention the Pelican-esque, monumental rockers Jesu. Happy New Year to all of you, and let’s hope that 2005 will be a great year for tunes.