Buyer beware; know your rights

By BILAL MUHAMMAD

Leasing off-campus housing is like going shopping — hasty decisions will most likely lead to… Leasing off-campus housing is like going shopping — hasty decisions will most likely lead to buyer’s remorse.

Become an educated consumer. Know your rights and responsibilities. Make an informed, deliberate decision. Once you sign the lease, the contract binds you, and it’s not as easy as returning a skirt with a slight tear on the side: you cannot easily nullify the contract.

“Landlords aren’t looking to take advantage, but if you leave yourself open, you will get taken advantage of,” said Erin Ramsey, an intern at Oakland Planning and Development Corporation.

Perusing the lease, educating oneself and documenting transactions helps a student to avoid a landlord’s misuse of power, Ramsey said.

First-time renters and current tenants face a heap of responsibilities that they should be aware of, such as checking on electrical fixtures and outlets, heating appliances, smoke detectors and other hazardous concerns, according to OPDC.

“If students knew more of these codes, they could go to their landlord and say, ‘Hey, go fix this.’ That’s why it’s important to go back to the lease and see who is responsible,” said Laura Halula, community organizer at OPDC.

Prospective tenants, especially international students, are probably unaware of the code enforcement laws and the obligations and responsibilities within their leases, Ramsey said.

“[Leases] are negotiable. You can definitely make changes to them. I don’t think that students realize that,” Halula said.

“I hate to say, but it’s usually the international student who doesn’t understand their lease. I think sometimes landlords take advantage of international students.” Ramsey said.

If students face any form of discrimination in the city of Pittsburgh, based on anything from sexual orientation to national origin, they can seek help from several sources, including the Pennsylvania Housing Research Center and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, said Jay Dworin, testing and enforcement coordinator of the Fair Housing Center, a non-profit advocacy group.

“Students need to be wise when dealing with landlords,” Dworin said, adding, “Write it all down. Correspond with your landlord.”

Dworin warned that there is a difference between a discriminating landlord and a bad landlord. But if a student suspects any discriminatory practices on the part of a landlord, it is critical to contact the Fair Housing Center so that representatives can discover these discrimination charges and enforce fair housing laws.

“Here’s the thing: The people who are discriminating have gotten smarter, just as we’ve gotten smarter in detecting it,” Dworin said.

Ramsey pointed out that discrimination is not confined to certain groups.

“I think everyone possibly faces a form of discrimination that they should be aware of. I think it’s everybody — majorities and minorities,” Ramsey said.

“It’s worth your time to find a good landlord. They’re out there,” she added.

“Living off campus is fun, especially when you don’t have a lot of headaches,” Ramsey said.