Morris listens to NPR, will take anyone in Halo

By BILAL MUHAMMAD

“Forget TV. All you need is NPR. ‘This American Life’ is better than most TV shows,” Todd… “Forget TV. All you need is NPR. ‘This American Life’ is better than most TV shows,” Todd Brandon Morris said during our meal in Eddie’s cafeteria Monday evening.

He told me that when he has a hard time sleeping, he chooses to stay awake until 5 a.m., when “Morning Edition” airs and Morris can finally get his dose of the news.

We began talking about NPR after he mentioned the reason why he will not pursue a life in politics.

“Everything that I’m trying to fix in [Student Government Board] is happening in the real world,” he said. “The party lines, the divides, people working for their own motives, working under a cloak [of] ‘This isn’t me helping my friends.'”

After I spoke with him about the inner politics of SGB, I asked him what he does to unwind and cool off. He hesitated, telling me that he doesn’t have much time. But, when he does, he likes to play Halo.

“I’m one of the best Halo players in the fraternity, if not the University,” said the Delta Tau Delta brother. “I challenge anyone to a game of Halo.”

Morris holds the Delta Tau Delta rush committee chair, which he told me was one of the best choices he’s made. When first asked by his fraternity brothers if he would chair the committee, he said no. The second time, he said no. After the third time, though, he said yes.

Morris didn’t feel at first as though he was the right person to chair the committee, but he consented and managed to “double last year’s rush numbers,” he said.

Morris’ assessment of his work for his fraternity resembles his appraisal of his time on SGB. He said that when he first won a seat on SGB, he received “a lot of training,” leading him to try to “give back as much, if not more” help than he received.

But being on SGB is “very frustrating,” Morris said, adding that “[board members] make such ignorant comments. They just don’t know any better.”

“I’m half black and half Italian,” Morris said. “It’s amazing coming from this diverse background.”

Though he didn’t recognize his own diversity until his peers brought it to his attention, Morris said it will help bring a new attitude to SGB.

Despite having limited time during the weeks, Morris said he tries to read when he can.

“I do really enjoy reading,” he explained. “I guess I’m kind of a dork.”

On top of trying to get through Jack Kerouac’s “On the Road,” a book he said he had tried to read but couldn’t get into, Morris explained that he tries to focus on “anything that involves that creative aspect.” He also mentioned that the posters and shirts he’s used for his campaign have incorporated his graphic designs.

Asked what he thinks makes him unique, Morris stopped talking, waited, looked down, put his hand to his chin, and thought.

“I believe in things like true love, and love at first sight. I believe that good prevails,” he said, chuckling. “This is a big reason why I do things.”

No matter how difficult a job might seem at first, he said he will accomplish it if the reasons are “right” for him to do so.

“Anything worthwhile never is easy,” he added.

Going to college — something that only one other person in his family has done — has become Morris’ best accomplishment, he said. Coming from a Mormon household in Butler County, Morris said, his family members thought that going to college would deter him from his religious onus: living a meager life and spreading “the word of God.”

Overcoming these obstacles has taken time, making him older than most juniors on campus. He said his age has been discussed by his candidates.

“I do believe my age is irrelevant,” he said. After some hesitation, he finally buckled and told me his age.

“I’m 25.”