Pittsburgh leaves the lights on for locals

By ByANGELA HAYESStaff Writer

Fireworks illuminated the city skyline of Downtown Pittsburgh on Friday, marking the… Fireworks illuminated the city skyline of Downtown Pittsburgh on Friday, marking the culmination of the 45th annual Light Up Night. Spectators from Point State Park, Market Square and Mount Washington gathered outside on the clear November night to admire the grand finale.

Pittsburgh’s Light Up Night offered more than just fireworks. Nearly 50,000 people perused the streets to find ceremonial tree lightings, newly unveiled window displays, ice skating at PPG Plaza and Christmas carolers on every corner.

Pitt’s women’s a cappella group, the Sounds of Pleasure, entertained the crowds on the corner of Fifth and Liberty avenues with renditions of holiday favorites like “Silent Night,” “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree,” “The First Noel” and “I’ll Be Home for Christmas.”

Marissa Scalercio, a sophomore member of the a cappella group, said, “The crowd was great. No matter what we sang, they seemed to enjoy it.”

“They were in the holiday spirit,” she added

Amanda Christian, a junior member of the group, watched the Pitt Men’s Glee Club sing “Twas the Night Before Christmas” to the tune of “Chopsticks.”

“It was interesting, and different from the traditional Latin [songs] they were singing,” she said. “I liked it a lot.”

Duquesne Light, a fifth-year sponsor of the event, gave out light-stick necklaces at a stand in Market Square. The stand quickly became the hot spot for people looking to show off their attendance. There were plenty of necklaces to go around, preventing a repeat of last year’s shortage.

Mark Nitowski, an employee for Duquesne Light corporate communications, said 25,000 light sticks were ordered for this year’s event — 2,000 more than last year.

“It’s the traditional kickoff to the holiday season in the Pittsburgh region,” he said as he unpacked another box of the popular sticks.

Freshman Pitt student Mary Kell waited in a long line to go ice skating at PPG Place for the first time. She stood with friends, gazing up at the 65-foot-tall Christmas tree that towered above.

“It will be worth the wait,” she said with a nod. “I haven’t been ice skating in a while.”

Natalie Culp, a junior at Pitt, walked through the muddy grass at Point State Park just in time to see the 80-foot tree radiate its colorful strands across the city. She watched the fireworks, holding the hand of her significant other, Nick Sanzone, who is also a junior Pitt student.

“I have been coming to Light Up Night every year since I have been in college,” she said after the display had finished. “It is like my own little tradition,” she added.

Filled with the excitement of the night, the crowds from The Point made their way through mud puddles and baby strollers to filter out into the city. A chant broke out among the strangers and reverberated through the Fort Pitt tunnel: “Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go.”