Wilson leads all National Leaguers, but doesn’t get the nod

By RYAN WALKER

Pirates’ shortstop Jack Wilson found out Sunday that he would be taking part in his first… Pirates’ shortstop Jack Wilson found out Sunday that he would be taking part in his first career All-Star Game.

His response on PittsburghPirates.com: “It was just an absolute honor. It’s something I never would have thought possible. It feels really good.”

The modesty shouldn’t surprise you. This is the guy who had tears in his eyes the night his mentor, Kevin Young, was released last summer. This is also the guy who campaigns to keep kids away from chewing tobacco and who sincerely believes that he is lucky to be able to play the game he loves for a living.

Wilson is a true throwback to a time when his attitude was the norm. I’ve been lucky enough to interview him on several occasions, and, regardless of the circumstances, he has never been anything but polite and courteous.

That’s saying a lot, considering the Pirates have endured more than a decade of losing seasons.

Wilson is a big part of the Pirates current hot streak. His big plays in the field and late-inning heroics at the plate and on the base paths almost make you forget how sad professional baseball has become.

Wilson has long been known as a walking highlight reel defensively, but this year it’s been his offense that has people taking notice.

Despite Wilson leading all National Leaguers in batting, St. Louis Cardinals shortstop Edgar Renteria is this year’s starter. Although Wilson is thrilled just to be invited, the fact is he deserves to be the starter.

Major League Baseball has tried everything to get more fans interested in the sport, and the All-Star Game has gotten more and more pathetic as a result. It is what it is: an exhibition game. But don’t tell that to the executives at Fox. Remember last year’s “This time it counts” marketing campaign?

Technically, it does count. The league that wins the All-Star Game gets home-field advantage in the World Series. Before last year, home-field advantage was decided arbitrarily, with home-field advantage rotating between leagues each year. I don’t mean to get sidetracked here, but shouldn’t home-field advantage in the World Series just go to the team with the better regular-season record?

What we’re left with is a game that does count for something being played by players who are selected by the fans. And, in case you’re keeping score at home, the fans thought that Jason Giambi’s .239 batting average and 31 RBIs were better than David Ortiz’s .306 average and 76 RBIs.

The fans vote for the most popular player, not the player who is having the best year. This is the only explanation for why Wilson is not starting in this year’s summer classic.

One glance over the All-Star rosters for both leagues will reveal several such injustices. It’s just a shame that a player of such outstanding character has to be one of them.

Ryan Walker is the sports editor of The Pitt News and thinks it is worth noting that the Pirates have not lost a game since he took his last drink and Assistant News Editor Jonathan Check had his last cigarette.