A different environment for students

By CHRISTINE CLAUS

“Hello? … Hello? Anyone there?”

“Yes, Johnny.”

No, it’s not the familiar Charlie… “Hello? … Hello? Anyone there?”

“Yes, Johnny.”

No, it’s not the familiar Charlie calling in to speak to his Angels; it’s Johnny Rotten callin’ in to shout out to his fellow college partiers.

And where is Johnny?

Chillin’ on the beach in Cancun, Mexico sipping on a Margarita — that’s where.

J.R. makes occasional calls from the beach to his newly opened Oakland joint. J.R. will ask those in charge to offer free drinks, Mardi Gras beads or cash giveaways to students who can answer random trivia questions.

Located in the heart of Oakland on Forbes Avenue, Johnny Rotten’s is the “18-and-over college joint your mother warned you about,” as their slogan says.

The concept of Johnny Rotten’s originated from Gus Grekis’ college experiences.

Despite being one of the biggest college partiers at UCLA, WVU and Pitt, he noticed something missing from each college campus experience.

“Often when I was in college we’d get a group of people together and either wound up going to a dirty house party or up on the hill [at the fraternity houses], but there wasn’t a place where friends — both under 21 and over 21 — can get together to socialize and hang out,” Grekis said. “Johnny Rotten’s offers just that.”

The “joint” is funded by Diversified Night Clubs of America, of which Grekis is an owner.

“We have a few other 18-and-over places to give college students a chance to hang out somewhere other than an apartment or house party,” said Bernie Firman, director of operations for Johnny Rotten’s.

Open every Thursday, Friday and Saturday from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m., J.R.’s offers free soda and $1 hot dogs steamed in beer.

A hot dog for a dollar, who does that?

Johnny does, of course.

“We do also offer free beer for those with a valid over-21 I.D., but they must have a valid college I.D. as well, to keep in strictly a college crowd,” Firman added.

So, how much does it cost to get into this college-only, free beer-offering (if of legal age) establishment?

Well, if you’re over 21, it’s free — no matter your sex.

Under 21? Then you’ll have to pay a $7 cover — except on Thursday nights when it’s only a $3 cover for females, because it’s ladies’ night.

Don’t like to dance, but still want free beer and a chance to meet someone new? J.R.’s also has video games, sports trivia, darts and Mega Touch machines, as well as a quieter room to just stand around and talk to friends.

And there’s no D.J. needed here.

J.R.’s offers a computerized music system free from turntables with pulsating sounds bumping out of large speakers on every wall. Techno beats keep dancers’ hearts pumping all night.

“We made it up really nice, so it’s not a typical college dump,” Firman said. “Most college bars just want to take the college kids’ money, but we’re offering students the chance to relax, party and socialize in a secure environment.”

With five largely built security men and two Pittsburgh police SWAT officers at the door, they are hoping to “provide a safe and fun atmosphere for the under-21 college crowd, while allowing those older than 21 to drink free beer in a sectioned-off room with a strict doorman,” Firman said.

“Our security staff plays a very active role in the night’s events,” Grekis added.

A crazy caricature of the illusive Johnny Rotten greets incoming visitors to his joint. In the entranceway, neon lights blink off the almost too-shiny silver wrapping over the front doors. The front of the joint has large glass windows that are currently covered with eye-catching and very colorful boards.

“We are hoping to get the fraternities, sororities and other student groups at Pitt and other local colleges to post their groups’ signs, event flyers, Greek letters and rush [information] in the windows,” Grekis said. “It’s a service we’d like to offer students in thanks for them coming here.”

Grekis explains how they hope to work with the university as much as possible in terms of student organizations to raise funding and boost enrollment in various student groups.

“It’s not just limited to the Greek community,” Firman added. “We want to encourage all student organizations to come here, and we will help them raise money [for their organizations] if there is any way we can.”

J.R.’s hopes to open its doors to student life organizations at local universities.

“We’re not here to simply make money. We’re here to provide a valuable service for college kids,” Grekis said. “This gives students the opportunity to hang out with friends that are over 21 in the [sectioned-off] drinking area and then go socialize or dance with their friends that are between 18 and 20.”

Johnny Rotten’s is open Thursday through Saturday, between 9 p.m. and 2 a.m. Editor’s note: although J.R.’s was not serving alcohol last weekend, they will resume normal operations this weekend or next.