Roberts covers moms, election

As one of the most prominent journalists of this era, Cokie Roberts does not give herself much… As one of the most prominent journalists of this era, Cokie Roberts does not give herself much credit.

“I don’t want to pretend I’m cozy with the presidents,” she said.

Roberts spoke Wednesday evening to a large audience at Heinz Hall. She came to Pittsburgh as part of Robert Morris University’s Pittsburgh Speaker Series, which brings in seven world and cultural leaders every year.

Her journalistic resume includes working for ABC News as a chief congressional analyst and a co-anchor with Sam Donaldson for the program, “This Week with Sam Donaldson and Cokie Roberts.” She also is a senior political analyst for National Public Radio.

Roberts began the evening by talking about her two books, “We Are Our Mothers’ Daughters,” published in 1998, and “Founding Mothers” which she “just finished.”

She admitted the hardest thing involved in the publication of her first book was creating a title. She chose “We Are Our Mothers’ Daughters” because the book focused on women’s relationships throughout the generations of American history.

She asked her editor’s opinion on the book title, and the editor replied, “I am NOT my mother’s daughter.”

But Roberts kept the name for her first book, saying that mothers would like the title, if not daughters.

Her more recent work, “Founding Mothers,” tells the stories of the women who helped create the United States.

She explained that Robert Morris, the founding father for whom the University is named, actually ended up in debtors’ prison. While having dinner with George and Martha Washington, his wife, Mary, had something to do with the decision to move the nation’s capital from New York to Philadelphia.

During the dinner, the cream had spoiled, and Mary said, “We’ve got to move the capital to Philadelphia. You can’t get any cream in New York,” Roberts explained.

Roberts spent the majority of the evening giving her analysis of the upcoming presidential election.

She said that George W. Bush has a tremendous advantage over Democratic challengers because he is already the president.

Presidential hopeful Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., also has a Senate voting record that could be used against him, Roberts acknowledged.

“A Senate voting record is a terrible thing for a presidential candidate,” she said. “It’s interesting, because members of the Senate don’t seem to notice.”

Only two other presidents were elected directly from the Senate, one being John F. Kennedy. But Kennedy was not a member for long, and his back problems limited the votes he could cast while there.

“John Kerry has a disadvantage because he actually showed up,” Roberts said.

Roberts said the Democrats were becoming “feisty” because of their lead in the polls against Bush, but she added that polling is not particularly reliable and represents how a person feels in the 15 minutes the poll is being taken.

She also said that Ralph Nader does matter.

“He just can’t help himself [from entering the race],” she explained.

Nader, she said, was wrong in saying that he would take voters away from both the Democrats and the Republicans.

She went on to point out that, just as the Senate voting record will hinder the Democrats, obtaining the minority vote will challenge Bush as he seeks to retain the presidency.

“There are just not enough white guys to go around, ” she said.

Her analysis was followed by a question-and-answer session.

An audience member asked Roberts if there is indeed a liberal media and, if so, where it is. Roberts replied that there was more fair criticism 20 or 30 years ago, but that there is a very conscious effort to present conservative voices in the media today. She reflected that her own personal biases only included finding a good story and getting out of the Congressional chambers before dinner.

Another person questioned the possibility that the Constitutional amendment banning gay marriage could pass. Roberts said that there might be a possibility in the future, but added that this would be only the second amendment passed to restrict a right.

The first was the 18th Amendment, which enacted prohibition.

“That didn’t work very well,” she said.

For not being particularly “cozy” with the presidents, Roberts shared a plethora of information about politics for almost two hours.

“It’s going to be an interesting year to watch,” she said. “Stay tuned.”