Rugby to compete in championship against West Virginia

By RYAN FALOON

The Pitt men’s rugby team has been defending its League Championship title all season, as… The Pitt men’s rugby team has been defending its League Championship title all season, as it was the Allegheny Rugby Union, champion. It is apparent that they are not ready to give it up.

Except for a solo loss in the final game of the regular season, this year’s Pitt team is on the same page as last year’s team. The Panthers will battle for their second consecutive championship this weekend, and they have a tremendous advantage.

It’s Homecoming weekend at Pitt, and the Panthers play the championship game at home against rival West Virginia on Saturday.

With a 7-1 overall record on the season, four of those wins have come in conference play. They are 4-1 in conference play and have outscored their opponents 240-58.

Pitt’s single loss came against Bowling Green in the final game of the regular season, as it was defeated 27-19. Aside from this, the Panthers have looked flawless.

After winning their first two conference games 59-0 and 68-0, respectively, Pitt blew away West Virginia 51-10. The Panthers’ final conference win came against Miami, OH, as they picked up a 43-21 victory.

The first round of the playoffs were a cinch for the Panthers, as they cruised to a 44-5 victory over Grove City. The win advanced them to this week’s championship game against West Virginia.