Jazzing it up with world-class musicians

By Adam Rauf

Ladies and gentlemen, jazz is once again filling the airwaves; Pitt gets to experience some… Ladies and gentlemen, jazz is once again filling the airwaves; Pitt gets to experience some amazing talent this week. This Tuesday, Oct. 28, through Saturday, Nov. 1, world-renowned jazz musicians will be offering workshops and finishing the week with an amazing concert that should not be missed.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The line-up this year includes James Moody and Jackie McLean on saxophone, Jon Faddis and Randy Brecker on trumpet, Abraham Laboriel on bass, Mulgrew Miller on piano, Pat Martino on guitar and Billy Cobham on drums. And none other than Pitt’s own Nathan Davis, a music instructor and world famous jazz musician, will head this group of jazz elites.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ Pitt’s Jazz Seminar and Concert series was the first academic jazz seminar in the country to feature international artists meeting with students in a lecture format at no cost to the public.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ The lectures will take place on Tuesday, Oct. 28, and Thursday, Oct. 30, and the concert is on Saturday, Nov. 1, at 8 p.m. at CarnegieMusic Hall. Concert tickets cost $18 for general admission, but will only run students $8 with a Pitt ID. Tickets can be purchased via phone at 412-323-1919, online at ticketmaster.com or at Pitt’s main box office in the William Pitt Union.

‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ ‘ More information on the seminar and concert can be provided to you by calling the Jazz Studies Program at 412-624-4187 or visiting www.pitt.edu/~pittjazz.