Students find path at Pawfest

By Katie Leonard

Pitt senior Malachi Walker was on his way to Uncle Sam’s to get lunch, but when he heard… Pitt senior Malachi Walker was on his way to Uncle Sam’s to get lunch, but when he heard about Pawfest, he decided to stop by because there would probably be free food.

When he went to the Lower Lounge of the William Pitt Union Monday afternoon, he not only found free food, but he also found out about the career services available at Pitt.

Throughout the room, tables and games were set up to teach students about Pitt Pathway’s four steps.

The Pathway teaches students the steps toward getting a career after college. The first step is getting to know yourself; second, exploring career options; third, getting experience; and fourth, finding the right graduate school or career.

At each station, career counselors were available to talk to the students about the steps.

Marvin Roth, director of career services, said Pawfest was a way to publicize the Pitt Pathway and to show students the resources available to them.

He encouraged students, even freshmen, to use the service.

Freshman Ebony Gardner went to the event because she wants to graduate within four years.

“This is a good way to get on track and find out what I want to do,” she said.

After visiting each table, Walker and the other students got a sheet stamped by the counselors. After getting stamps from the four stations, students could use the sheet to enter a contest for a Best Buy gift certificate. The sheet gave students a second chance to win, because upon entering, students could also sign up for the prize.

“I’m here,” Walker said. “Now I have to play along.”

At the first station, students could pick a picture from among many on an easel. After picking it, students received printouts about what their picture selections meant about them, and why they were drawn to them. Walker said his description fit him well.

At that step, students could also guess what some celebrities’ college majors were. Actress Reese Witherspoon was an English literature major in college, and she went on to be a movie star.

According to Debra Johnson, a career counselor, the activity was used to show that the things people do after college are not always linked to their majors. Self-assessment and consideration of interests are important parts to choosing a career, she added.

At the second stage, Walker, a finance major, said he was interested in getting into real estate. But he added, “I don’t want to work for anyone.”

Career Counselor Kelli Robinson said finding a job that fits his personality is important. She advised him to network with Pitt alums at a homecoming event.

At the third station, which focused on getting experience, Walker learned about long term and short term study abroad opportunities at Pitt. Semester at Sea allows students to go away for as many as 100 days, while other programs, such as those organized by Amizade, go on much shorter trips, some lasting only about two weeks.

Had Walker known about the shorter trips earlier in college, he said, he would have gone on one.

Between the third and fourth stations, Walker stopped to play a game. Although he didn’t win by throwing beanbags through a hole in a board, he still got a bag of prizes, courtesy of Career Services.

At the fourth station, Walker told the counselor he needed some direction. Counselor Jennifer Cwiklinski told him that Pitt offers a shadowing program. Students can go to work and learn firsthand what is involved in the job they are interested in.

So, although he may have just been stopping in for the free food, by the end Walker had learned more about himself, he said.