Anita Triggs appointed Pitt’s Greek Advisor

By Christine Claus

After ten months without a permanent Greek adviser, Pitt students in the Greek community… After ten months without a permanent Greek adviser, Pitt students in the Greek community have a new leader.

In October 2002, former Greek adviser Sharon Malazich resigned from Pitt. Student Life leaders, with the help of administrators, have selected Anita Triggs as Pitt’s new Greek adviser.

Triggs comes to Pitt with experience and has expressed her desire to maintain and improve the Greek system at Pitt.

“I think the fraternity and sorority community here is much more conducive, as far as the population I was looking for to work with, and more along the lines of what I’m hoping to work with, in terms of higher education,” Triggs said.

Before coming to Pitt, Triggs gained experience working in the Greek community at Pennsylvania State University for several years.

“She knows what she is talking about when it comes to Greek life,” said Alyssa Kurtoff, president of Pitt’s National Panhellenic Association. “Right now, there’s a lot of stuff transitioning and getting her settled.”

According to Triggs, her main goal is always to make the fraternity and sorority community better by “maintaining a high level of expectations by the students.”

“I feel that the students can always maintain those expectations,” Triggs said. “I’m all about striking a balance between professionalism and friendship with my students.”

Triggs hopes to assist the Greek community at Pitt with establishing marketing venues, and she wants to better publicize benefits and efforts around campus and in the community.

But her current focus is on spending time getting to know the students she will be working with and “getting an understanding of the culture and climate at Pitt,” Triggs said.

Triggs wants to discuss the future of the Greek community with students by meeting with them and keeping an open dialogue to discuss the future of the Greek community here at Pitt – she said she is very interested in what the students have to say.

“I’m looking forward to a fun and productive year,” Triggs said.