Scientific rock music: Lab Partners

By Adam Rauf

Lab Partners, PAIK, AYDIN

Tomorrow, 9 p.m.

Quiet Storm Coffeehouse,… Lab Partners, PAIK, AYDIN

Tomorrow, 9 p.m.

Quiet Storm Coffeehouse, $7

(412) 661-9355

Nowadays it’s hard to find a band that isn’t emulating someone else. While there’s really no diversity in terms of original material, there are quite a few bands who still value their integrity over merely turning out the same old stuff. Artists such as The Doves, Coldplay, My Bloody Valentine, The Verve and Radiohead come to mind. They wrote some incredibly trendy material and they are still able let their own artistic freedom decide how they sound.

Enter Lab Partners. This Dayton, Ohio, foursome blends space-rock, dream-pop and ambient effects in the vein of the untouchable Brian Eno (who also ironically produced the sound effects of Windows 95, but I digress).

What’s so special? This Saturday, they plan on rocking the amicable Quiet Storm Coffeehouse with their buddies PAIK from Detroit, and touring mates AYDIN. The sound JB that this band brings is quite soothing and relaxing, yet there is still an edge to it. While listening to their disc, Daystar, I found myself drowning in the melodies and swooning to the soft vocals serenading me with beautiful Stephen Brodsky-esque elements of RCA recording artists Cave In.

It would be a tragic mistake to miss a band of this magnitude – one that traverses the annals of our universe, hurtling themselves at city after city relatively unnoticed. But why not show them some of our warm Pittsburgh hospitality and partake in one of the best shows you’ve probably never heard of?