Talk: Lisa Sovak

By Pitt News Staff

When we last spoke to 21-year-old Robert Morris University senior Lisa Sovak, she had finished… When we last spoke to 21-year-old Robert Morris University senior Lisa Sovak, she had finished up an internship with Hi-Frequency Marketing after her sophomore year and was offered an entry-level position at the company upon her graduation this spring.

The Pitt News: So what have you been up to in the past year, Lisa?

Lisa Sovak: Well, I stopped with Hi-Frequency, and I got the Pittsburgh field rep position for Elektra Records, which has been really great. One person in the top 20 markets gets the position and they do all of the marketing, advertising, street promotion, listening parties, everything you could possibly do to promote the artists in Pittsburgh.

TPN: Why did you stop with Hi-Frequency?

LS: Because it was a nonpaying position, and Elektra compensates you for all of the expenses that you incur, which allows you to be more creative with whatever you are promoting. And I had my time with Hi-Frequency, I met a lot of great people, I had a lot of fun and some great opportunities, but it’s always nice to be paid for something. I thought I would give the opportunity to someone else in Pittsburgh, so that they can get their foot in the door.

TPN: But didn’t Hi-Frequency offer you an entry-level position?

LS: Upon graduation, but I will be getting my masters and bachelors when I graduate in May, and that means more money, so if I move to New York City, hopefully I will be starting off making between $40,000 and $50,000.

TPN: Do you plan on staying with Elektra?

LS: I wouldn’t mind working with them, but if I can find another opportunity that’s going to pay more and is a company I like with opportunity for advancement, then I’ll go with that.

TPN: What music do you like promoting the most?

LS: I think it’s a challenge to promote something that I am not really into. Like, if I promote ‘N Sync, I mean I listen to them, but pop isn’t my favorite genre. It’s more of a challenge for me to promote something like that because you struggle and you have to try harder. But I like promoting emo, punk and of course, electronic music.

TPN: What else are you doing besides the Elektra promo work?

LS: I still do theater checks on the weekends for Disney/Buena Vista Films, and with the whole DJ thing [Cloudbreak Productions], I am going to start expanding that to promote bands, maybe start like a street marketing spin off that. The DJ scene in Pittsburgh is slowly dwindling down, like as though it was just a phase. It’s just harder and harder to get gigs, because it’s just not a real popular thing right now. Oh, yeah – I almost met Brandon Boyd from Incubus again, but I went home that day. It was the biggest mistake of my life.

TPN: It’s no big deal, because he’s going to be my husband one day.

LS: Not if I get him first!