Pro-Palestine literature at a sit-in protest in Schenley Plaza on Tuesday.
SGB releases statement in support of Pitt Gaza solidarity encampment
By Abby Lipold, News Editor • April 29, 2024

The Pitt News gets national college journalism nominations

The Pitt News received four national award nominations from the Associate College Press Wednesday for stories published from June 2014 to June 2015.

The ACP named four Pitt News student journalists as finalists for its 2015 Story of the Year, Spot News Photo of the Year, Sports Story of the Year and Multimedia Story of the Year. In addition to The Pitt News, the ACP finalists include student journalists from The Daily Texan at the University of Texas, Austin, The Temple News, from Temple University and the Indiana Daily Student from Indiana University, among many others.

The ACP will announce winners at its ACP/CMA National College Media Convention in Austin, Texas, Oct. 28-Nov. 1.

In the Story of the Year competition, Elizabeth Lepro was nominated for her March 16 piece “Home, sweet zone: City officials crack down on overcrowding” in the feature story category. Lepro currently serves as The Pitt News’ assistant news editor. Jasper Wilson was nominated for his piece “Pit(t) stop: Former Panther wrestlers find work in NASCAR,” in the sports story category. Wilson currently serves as a senior staff writer for The Pitt News. Nate Smith and Mason Lazarcheff were nominated for their news video, “Candlelight Vigil For UNC Muslim Victims.” Smith graduated from Pitt in 2014 and Lazarcheff is a multimedia senior staff member.

In the Photo Excellence competition, Theo Schwarz was nominated for his spot news photograph from the Black Lives Matter protest in December on Pitt’s campus. Schwarz currently works as a photography intern for Pittsburgh’s City Paper.