Sponsored
×
Candle smoke leads to Bouquet H evacuation - The Pitt News

The Pitt News

Candle smoke leads to Bouquet H evacuation

Bouquet H residents evacuated early Friday morning after a candle activated a room's sprinkler system. | Harrison Kaminsky / Managing Editor

Bouquet H residents evacuated early Friday morning after a candle activated a room's sprinkler system. | Harrison Kaminsky / Managing Editor

By Danielle Fox and Harrison Kaminsky / The Pitt News Staff

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






A candle in a Bouquet H dorm room activated the building’s sprinkler system early Friday morning, forcing residents to evacuate.

According to Ethan Debroff, who lives in room 104H, smoke from a small candle on the stovetop activated the alarm.

Pittsburgh Fire Department were called to the dormitory about 12:15 a.m. 

Chief Jerry Hirschfeld confirmed a candle triggered the fire alarm. Sergeant Bradley Kieffer said the investigation is ongoing.

Fire crews assisted Pitt maintenance in deactivating the sprinklers in the room, which soaked the floor and spread into the adjacent suite.

Police and firefighters arrived on scene 10 to 15 minutes after the sprinklers activated, according to Mike Moran, a neuroscience major standing outside the dorm.

Pitt police instructed the residents to remove their valuables from the apartment. As of 1:30 a.m., the four roommates, Debroff, John Wallace, Caleb Gilbride and Cameron Johnson did not yet know where they would be staying.

 

Leave a comment.

The University of Pittsburgh's Daily Student Newspaper
Candle smoke leads to Bouquet H evacuation