Sponsored
×
Panthers of the Week - The Pitt News

Panthers of the Week

Yacine Diop and James Robinson are this week's Panthers of the week.  Photos by Wenhao Wu | Staff Photographer

Yacine Diop and James Robinson are this week's Panthers of the week. Photos by Wenhao Wu | Staff Photographer

By Dan Sostek / Sports Editor

JAMES ROBINSON — Guard, Men’s basketball

Robinson has been a steadying presence for the Panthers in his senior season at Pitt, starring on both ends of the floor. The point guard surged in the City Game against Duquesne University last Friday, totalling 18 points, eight assists and two steals on the evening. He played well in limited time against University of Cental Arkansas on Sunday, scoring nine and adding five assists and four rebounds in a blowout. He’s significantly improved his 3-point shooting this year, going from 29.8 percent last season to 42.9 percent so far this campaign. Robinson and the Panthers return to the court on Friday, taking on Eastern Washington University at 7 p.m. at the Petersen Events Center.

YACINE DIOP — Forward, Women’s basketball

Even though the team floundered in a loss to University of Michigan last Thursday, sophomore Yacine Diop had perhaps the best game by a Pitt player this season, totalling 26 points on 12-15 shooting against a talented opponent. She also compiled eight rebounds, two steals and a block in the contest. And while Diop’s statline wasn’t quite as impressive Sunday against College of the Holy Cross, she still managed to play solid basketball in her limited playing time due to foul trouble, finishing with four points, two rebounds, an assist and a foul. Diop and the Panthers are back in action Saturday, when they travel to New Jersey to take on Princeton University at 3 p.m.

Panthers of the Week