Sponsored
×
Panthers of the Week - The Pitt News

Panthers of the Week

Andrew Wells Photo (Courtesy of Pitt Athletics)  |  Fred Potvin Photo (Jeff Ahearn | Assistant Visual Editor)

Andrew Wells Photo (Courtesy of Pitt Athletics) | Fred Potvin Photo (Jeff Ahearn | Assistant Visual Editor)

By Dan Sostek / Sports Editor

ANDREW WELLS – Thrower, track and field

Wells, a graduate student, has enjoyed a tremendous final campaign as a Panther. For the second time this year, Wells set a school record for throwing distance last weekend, tallying 21.87 meters at the Findlay Elite Open Throwers Competition in Geneva, Ohio. That mark bested his previous record of 21.72 meters, which he recorded at the Kentucky Invitational in January. Wells and the Panthers return to action in two weeks, heading to Boston for the ACC Championship Meet.

FRED POTVIN – Guard, women’s basketball

Since Suzie McConnell-Serio inserted the sharp-shooting Potvin into their starting lineup, the Panthers have drastically improved their ACC play, going 3-3 in the six-game span. The junior has been a strong presence from beyond the arc and was key in Pitt’s win over Virginia Tech Sunday in Blacksburg, Virginia, going for 14 points on 3-5 shooting while also snagging two rebounds. Potvin and Pitt remain on the road, traveling to Chapel Hill to face the University of North Carolina Tar Heels Thursday. Tip-off is at 7 p.m.

Panthers of the Week