Pro-Palestine students set up a liberated zone in Schenley Plaza on Tuesday.
Op-Ed | An Open Letter to Chancellor Joan Gabel
By Contributors April 25, 2024

By Contributors April 25, 2024

Pitt ranked 29th among best large employers

Based on employee responses, Forbes Media has ranked Pitt among the country’s top large employers.

Pitt ranked 29th overall of 500 companies included in the country’s top large employers in a survey of employee satisfaction from Forbes Media and Statista, an online statistics company. The companies surveyed more than 30,000 workers at companies with more than 5,000 employees about their feelings toward their employers and if they would recommend the employer to someone else.

Pitt, which employs 13,000 people across all five campuses, according to the University of Pittsburgh Fact Book 2016, ranked third among universities in the country. Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Duke University ranked above Pitt as first and second, respectively.

Pitt was the only Pennsylvania school included in the rankings and was ranked first among 15 Pennsylvania employers, including Penn Medicine, PPG Industries, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Wawa.

Nationally, Marathon Petroleum, a transportation and fuel corporation, took the top spot with Google in second place.

Ronald Frisch, vice chancellor of human resources, said in a release he was not surprised Pitt employees rated their employer among one of the best large companies.

“The University of Pittsburgh has a fantastic heritage, built on a foundation of dedicated staff and faculty who every day share their pride and passion to serve a community of leaders,” Frisch said.