Pitt star Boyd charged with DUI

Pitt junior wide receiver Tyler Boyd has been charged with driving under the influence after an arrest following an early Friday morning incident in Jefferson Hills, Pa.

On Monday, the Jefferson Hills District Court confirmed that the charges were filed against the junior wideout. According to a court representative, the preliminary hearing is “temporarily” scheduled for Aug. 5.

Boyd also faces misdemeanor summary charges including underage drinking vehicle code violations.

A press release by the Jefferson Hills Police Department stated that Boyd was pulled over at approximately 2:35 a.m. on Friday, following an officer witnessing Boyd pass another vehicle at an intersection with “limited sight distance ahead.”

The officer who pulled Boyd over smelled the odor of alcoholic beverages about Boyd.

Boyd, who is 20, then admitted to drinking two shots of alcohol. The officer administered a portable breath test to Boyd, which saw a positive result.

Following the positive test, Boyd was transported to Jefferson Hospital and submitted to blood draw, which will be analyzed for alcohol content. He was released to a family member following processing.

Boyd was recently named one of Phil Steele’s Preseason All-Americans, and many outlets consider him a top prospect for the 2016 NFL Draft.

In an email statement, Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi said Boyd’s situation is both serious and disappointing.

“Tyler understands and knows he must be responsible for his actions,” Narduzzi said. “Certainly he will be held accountable to our internal standards of discipline and behavior.”

Pitt football opens up its 2015 season against Youngstown State on Sept. 5th. The program has not yet announced punishment for Boyd.