President Hassan Rouhani presents opportunity for Middle Eastern diplomacy

By Nick Voutsinos / Columnist

When newly elected Iranian President Hassan Rouhani arrived in New York last week for the U.N. general assembly, there was something strange in the air. The past protests and animosity that had become commonplace during Iranian presidential visits were absent, and in their place was an unusual aura of optimism. It was cautious optimism, but still optimism —  a feeling that hasn’t been felt toward Iran for decades.

This is no accident. As soon as he was elected, Rouhani made it clear that his term will sharply contrast that of his predecessor, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who openly despised anything American or Israeli and notoriously denied the existence of the Holocaust. However, Rouhani asserted his eagerness to separate himself from the former administration and said, “The man who was perceived to be denying it is now gone.” Rouhani even wished Jews a “Happy Rosh Hashanah” on Twitter, a sign that he clearly wants to change Iran’s image.

But is that all? Can we expect something more than just a public relations make over that may include an actual shift in Iranian policy? President Barack Obama is proceeding with much caution. After all, the United States has not had formal diplomatic relations with Iran since 1979. Yet the positive rhetoric that Rouhani has expressed as of late is certainly the first step, among many, required to clear the path toward renewed diplomatic relations between the two states.

The only rhetoric of actual concern to the United States regards Iran’s nuclear program. Obama made it clear during his speech at the General Assembly: “If we can resolve the issue of Iran’s nuclear program, that can serve as a major step for a long road towards a different relationship. One based on mutual interest and respect.” Iran says that it is more than ready for nuclear talks, an assertion that would have seemed implausible just a year ago. 

Rouhani clarified this at the General Assembly after Obama’s speech. “Our national interests make it imperative that we remove any and all reasonable concerns about Iran’s peaceful nuclear program,” Rouhani said.

Iran’s interests call for the removal of the crippling sanctions the United States has placed on it in lieu of its suspicious nuclear program. These sanctions have led to the rise of the inflation rate in Iran to nearly 36 percent, the rise of its unemployment rate to about 12 percent and the reduction of its income made from oil exports by almost 65 percent. In light of the harsh realities these sanctions have created, one of Rouhani’s main goals should clearly be their removal, at least if he wants to see the Iranian economy recover. As Mark Fitzpatrick of the International Institute for Strategic Studies put simply, “That’s why he was elected and that is the will of the Iranian people.”

The motivation for nuclear talks is present, but the real problem lies in whether or not Rouhani will have the means to pursue them. The final say does not belong to Rouhani, but with Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. However, Rouhani has come from the heart of the regime and has held numerous senior positions over the years, and as a result, he has the experience and capability needed to do business with the supreme leader. 

In fact, only 10 days after Rouhani was elected president, Khamenei gave Rouhani absolute authority in nuclear diplomacy through a direct mandate, which allowed Rouhani free reign to execute talks with the West on the nuclear issue. Rouhani said  in his speech to the U.N. that Iran is fully “prepared to engage immediately in time-bound and result-oriented talks to build mutual confidence and removal of mutual uncertainties with full transparency.” Hopefully this means that there will be no invisible hand controlling Rouhani during nuclear talks.

The supreme leader seems to somewhat take the diplomatic flexibility and transparency that Rouhani has been preaching to heart. Owing to the fact that he released a number of political prisoners earlier this September, including the notable human rights lawyer, Mohsen Aminzadeh.. Perhaps this is a sign that he is now more willing to allow a free-flow of political discourse within the state.

So it seems that there is a complete U-turn going on in Iran: Not only are state leaders trying to appear more transparent, but they are also extending their arm out to the world, hoping to be welcomed back. While it is understandable to take this new Iran with a grain of salt, it would be unwise to not take advantage of this opportunity we have to thaw diplomatic relations with the Iranians. Unless we want to continue this cold-war-like power struggle in the region, we have to take every opportunity we have to promote stability, and Rouhani has certainly presented us with the greatest opportunity to do so in recent memory. 

Write Nick at [email protected]