Vigil honors missing, captured service members

Dressed in camouflage fatigues and combat boots, Joe Iacono marched to honor the memory of U.S. service men and women who have been captured by the enemy or whose fates have remained unknown.

“We have to keep awareness that we still have people missing,” Iacono said. “Once you forget, you forget, and that can’t happen.”

Iacono, a Vietnam War veteran, was one of about 20 veterans and family members who attended the closing ceremony of the 31st Vietnam veterans Annual POW-MIA Vigil 2 p.m. Sunday at the Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall and Museum. The museum sponsored this year’s event, which began at noon Saturday.

The vigil began with a show of patriotism and remembrance for prisoners of war and those officially listed as missing in action. Members of the public took turns bearing the American flag for 15-minute intervals, according to a statement from Soldiers & Sailors Museum.

Additionally, a candlelight vigil and prayer service was held at 7:30 p.m. that same day.

The closing ceremony honored prisoners of war, those missing in action and their families as part of its celebration of National Recognition Day, which took place Friday.

“It’s important to never forget those who have fallen,” said Pastor Mike Wurschmidt of the Shepherd’s Heart Fellowship, who led the few families and veterans in attendance in a prayer dedicated to lost soldiers.

At the beginning of the closing ceremony, eight veterans marched onto the stage in the museum’s auditorium to take hold of the American flag. Silence pierced the air, and attendees rose from their seats as this gesture of respect for the flag took place. 

“This closing ceremony in no way brings closure to the prisoners of war and those missing in action,” T.J. McGarvey, who served in the Vietnam War as part of the U.S. Marine Corps, said in his closing speech.

After McGarvey spoke, another veteran of the Vietnam War walked to the podium and shared a poem he wrote based on his own experiences.

“No mothers cry, no children weep, we stand in guard,” Glenn Connors, on the edge of tears, said as he recited his poem, which describes how war impacts the lives of those involved.

The veterans who attended hope this service will keep the public memory of lost soldiers alive. For Iacono, who experienced war firsthand, the service is one step to make sure that attendees remember that soldiers are missing.

“You can’t forget,” he said several times after the service.