Pitt student arrested in Spider-Man costume, charged with felony robbery

By Brett Sholtis / Staff Writer

A man who entered an Oakland convenience store early Friday morning dressed in a Spider-Man costume has been arrested and charged with felony robbery.

Officer Rufus Jones of the Pittsburgh Police filed the criminal complaint, which included the testimony from the night clerk who called the police.

According to the report, an adult man in a Spider-Man costume and face mask entered the Atwood Express, which is located on Atwood Street, around 1:15 a.m.

“How much money you got?” said the man, who was later identified as Pitt student Jonathan Hewson, 21, according to the complaint.

The clerk, who believed he was being robbed, produced a stun gun and tried to fire it at Hewson, who fled when he saw the weapon. The clerk fired the stun gun as Hewson left, although the complaint does not say whether the charge hit Hewson or not.

The clerk called the police once Hewson fled.Within 30 minutes two Pitt police officers apprehended Hewson on Atwood Street, according to the complaint.

The clerk named in the complaint was not available for comment Friday afternoon.

Hewson is in custody at the Allegheny County Jail, where he awaits a preliminary arraignment scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Oct. 1. Authorities have charged him with felony robbery. He was unavailable for comment.

According to Pitt spokesman John Fedele, Hewson has attended Pitt since the fall of 2010. He has been majoring in finance and pursuing a minor in economics. He is expected to graduate in spring of 2014.

Hewson’s roommate, junior Josh Casto, said in a statement he sent to The Pitt News over Facebook that the whole incident was a “misunderstanding.”

Casto described Hewson as a dedicated student who was involved with numerous extra-curricular activities. He said that Hewson often dressed as Spider-Man on weekends, “mainly because it’s hysterical.”

“Jon Hewson is a great guy, smart, and incredibly nice,” said Casto. “He would never do anything to harm any individual or do them wrong intentionally.”