Meet the Editors: Sports

Alex+Lehmbeck+and+Stephen+Thompson+are+the+sports+editors+at+The+Pitt+News.+

Left courtesy of Stephen Thompson, right courtesy of Alex Lehmbeck

Alex Lehmbeck and Stephen Thompson are the sports editors at The Pitt News.

By Stephen Thompson and Alex Lehmbeck

As hard as COVID-19 might try to cancel them, sports have persisted. Baseball, basketball and hockey are already midseason, and college athletics are set for a relatively normal fall return.

Here at The Pitt News’ sports desk, we are going to explore every nook and cranny of the sports-rich communities in Pittsburgh, from features on the club teams making a splash right here in Oakland all the way up to how Panther teams compete on a national stage.

You can count on us for current and accurate coverage of all Pitt sports, along with columns on sports topics happening in the City of Pittsburgh and beyond. If you have any story tips, please email [email protected], and to stay up to date with the latest developments and recruiting news, follow @pittnewssports on Twitter.

Alex Lehmbeck, Sports Editor

I’m Alex, a senior majoring in communications and political science with a minor in sociology. A Virginia native, I’ve grown up a diehard D.C. sports fan, with a particular affinity for the Washington Wizards. I started out as a staff writer for The Pitt News during my first year at Pitt, covering football recruiting, now finishing my undergraduate time as the sports editor. In my three years with The Pitt News, I’ve had an opportunity to meet amazing athletes, work with talented peers and diminish my use of the Oxford comma!

Stephen Thompson, Assistant Sports Editor

I’m Stephen, a junior from Washington, D.C., majoring in communications and political science. This is my third year of work at The Pitt News, and it has opened up a whole new world for me. Family roots from New England granted me a deep love of the Patriots, Celtics and Red Sox as well as Pitt football and basketball. After graduation I hope to work on political campaigns, but for now I’ll stick to sports.