Pitt says ID scanners are working, despite system update

ID+scanners+at+building+entrances+are+undergoing+a+system+update+but+still+operational.+The+system+update+began+Wednesday+at+5+p.m.+and+should+finish+Friday+evening.+

Pamela Smith | Visual Editor

ID scanners at building entrances are undergoing a system update but still operational. The system update began Wednesday at 5 p.m. and should finish Friday evening.

By Martha Layne, Assistant News Editor

Pitt officials said Thursday that ID scanners at building entrances are currently in the middle of a system update, but this does not affect the operational status of the scanners.

A University spokesperson said the system update began Wednesday at 5 p.m. and is scheduled for completion on Friday evening. They said the scanners are still recording and processing student information, even if the usual green light and sound do not occur. The scanners are also, as usual, sounding an alert when anyone who is supposed to be in quarantine or isolation, as well as anyone who is not conforming to COVID-19 safety protocols, tries to enter.

The scanners, located at the entrance to all on-campus buildings, are used to monitor building access. If a community member is not conforming to COVID-19 safety protocols, a specific sound is emitted from the scanner and they are denied access. The scanners are monitored by student building concierges as well as security guards.

The spokesperson said all Pitt students, faculty and staff are still required to scan their Pitt ID at campus building entrances.