Pitt adds 42 new COVID-19 cases since Oct. 6

Pamela Smith | Visual Editor

Pitt’s CoVax Vaccination Center — located at the bottom of Nordenberg Hall — recently expanded its hours to daily operations, and will offer flu shots starting next Wednesday.

By Martha Layne, Assistant News Editor

Pitt officials said Thursday that 29 students and 13 employees tested positive for COVID-19 from Oct. 13 to Oct. 19.

According to an email sent by Pitt’s COVID-19 Medical Response Office, although vaccinated individuals can still contract COVID-19, they are six times less likely to become infected and 10 times less likely to need hospitalization or to die from COVID-19.

The CMRO said although there was an increase from 3.4 to 4.1 in average student cases per day, this increase is “not concerning.”

The email also reported that more than 90% of the overall Pitt community — students, faculty and staff — are vaccinated.

According to the CMRO, the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices will soon release guidance about COVID-19 vaccine boosters and vaccination for children ages 5-11. The Pitt CoVax Center is ready to administer vaccines and booster shots to eligible individuals once the announcement is made by the CDC ACIP. The CMRO said booster doses are “icing on the cake” by adding an extra layer of protection to the already effective vaccine. For children, the vaccine should help the spread in schools. Children will be able to receive the vaccine at the Pitt CoVax Center around the beginning of November, according to the CMRO, and appointments can be booked through the vaccine center.

The CMRO said the vaccination center is also providing flu shots to Pitt faculty, staff and their families. Pitt students can only receive their flu shot with an appointment through the Student Health Center on Wednesdays from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the tent next to the O’Hara Student Center.