The Pitt News box outside the Cathedral of Learning.
TPN thanks, says goodbye to senior editors
By The Pitt News Staff April 26, 2024

By The Pitt News Staff April 26, 2024

Meet the editors: Opinions

%28Left%29+Livia+LaMarca+and+Thomas+Riley+
Pamela Smith | Contributing Editor
(Left) Livia LaMarca and Thomas Riley

The opinions desk is responsible for producing columns for our Monday, Wednesday and Friday publications, as well as The Pitt News editorials written by editors during the week. The opinions desk isn’t just for staff opinions writers. Letters to the Editor and Op-Eds from students, staff, faculty and anyone else connected to the Pitt community are always welcome and encouraged. We are happy to review anything you send, as long as it’s within the submission guidelines, if you email us at [email protected].

Thomas Riley, Opinions Editor

Hello! I’m Thomas, a junior double major in politics and philosophy and English writing on the poetry track. I joined The Pitt News as an opinions columnist in my sophomore year, and this is my first year as editor for the desk! I love reading all the content our columnists put out, whether they choose to speak out on controversial current events or offer silly commentary on student life. Outside of The Pitt News, I write for Pitt’s best and only late night comedy show, Pitt Tonight, collect CDs and pet any cat that I find.

Livia LaMarca, Assistant Opinions Editor

Hey guys, thanks for reading! My name is Livia and I am a third-year here at Pitt studying political science and sociology. I am also a first-time editor and had so much fun working with the writers this summer! I personally write a lot about politics and social movements, but I’ve had a blast working on other topics as well as the more satirical work that our wonderful writers have pitched to us these last few months. Along with my work in The Pitt News, I am also involved in a slew of law-based extracurriculars and spend a lot of my free time crocheting, sewing and watching movies. I’m looking forward to a great fall semester here at TPN!

About the Contributors
Thomas Riley, Opinions Editor
Thomas Riley is a junior double major in Politics and Philosophy and English Writing. They enjoy all things comedy and love to satirize current events and student life in their own writing. You can catch them procrastinating in Hillman, reading in Cathy or dreading a required economics course in Lawrence. Share your own opinions or sell them CDs by emailing
Livia LaMarca
Livia LaMarca is a junior political science and sociology student from outside of Chicago. You can often find her studying for the LSAT and drinking copious amounts of coffee. Her hobbies include singing, crocheting & knitting, Marvel movies, and hanging with her dog Leo (who she misses very much). She enjoys writing about American political discourse and U.S. pop culture with a particular passion for social justice and equitable social programs. Livia's email —  — is always open if you'd like to share your own opinions or respond to an opinion column of hers.