A few things to look forward to in the second half of the NBA season

By MATT MILOSZEWSKI

This is for the 12 other National Basketball Association fans out there. The few, the proud,… This is for the 12 other National Basketball Association fans out there. The few, the proud, the NBA junkies. We are a dying breed, but the NBA is better than it has ever been in the post-Michael Jordan era — Chicago only, the Washington Wizards thing never happened.

This is a look at 10 things that this NBA watcher thinks are of key importance in the second half of the season and beyond.

No. 10: Who won the NBA title last year?

Does anyone remember? The San Antonio Spurs did, and have been playing pretty good basketball recently. They still have the best player in the game in Tim Duncan, yet never get a mention because of their sometimes-boring play.

Hey, Oakland; guess what NBA team most plays like the Pittsburgh Panthers? Both teams play great defense and run their offensive sets to perfection.

No. 9. Ninth place.

That is where the Cleveland Cavaliers will finish in the East this year. Soon-to-be Rookie of the Year LeBron James will do his best, but the Cavs are just not there yet.

Now that this is James’ team completely, it is only a matter of time before he explodes and averages close to a triple-double per game. Imagine the Cavs losing the rest of the year, and getting a top-five pick? One more big-time player, and this team is ready to compete.

No. 8. In eighth place are the Dallas Mavericks.

Apparently, defense wins championships, and basketball games, yet someone forgot to tell Dallas. It is especially bad when Antoine Walker complains about lack of defense, since he doesn’t play any himself.

No. 7. The Memphis Grizzlies are playoff-bound for the first time in history.

Is there a doubt that Jerry West is the best executive in the NBA or that Hubie Brown is the NBA coach of the year? Now, how good will this team be next year with the addition of one more big-time player? Paging Kobe Bryant.

No. 6. Six is the number of teams that have a shot at winning the NBA title.

San Antonio, Sacramento, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Indiana and New Jersey all have a chance to win the NBA title. With Ron Artest’s pending surgery, the Pacers will be in trouble, and could be replaced on this list by the Detroit Pistons. By adding Rasheed Wallace on Thursday, the Pistons perhaps have added enough offense to make a run, but it is not likely.

No. 5. Speaking of Detroit, what happened to Darko Milicic?

It took the Pistons and the rest of the NBA this long to realize that he needs more seasoning to be ready for the NBA. Only in the NBA will a team invest the No. 2 overall pick on an unknown.

Detroit got what it deserved, and how much better would it be with Carmelo Anthony playing next to Tayshaun Prince?

No. 4. Who is this year’s NBA MVP?

Three candidates all have great chances — Peja Stojakovic, Kevin Garnett and the reigning MVP Tim Duncan. Even though Minnesota has lost the league’s best record, the season that Garnett is having can’t be dismissed. This will be the year that Minnesota gets out of the first round, and Garnett is the main reason. Give him the award now unless the Wolves collapse completely.

No. 3. “We will see you at the finals,” boasted the New Jersey Nets’ Jason Kidd after the All-Star game.

The NBA’s hottest team has won 12 straight, and since Byron Scott left, seems invincible. The Nets’ faithful should thank Kidd for getting Scott fired and helping this team get to the NBA finals for the third straight year this season.

No. 2. Allen Iverson — where will he end up?

The Sixers have some problems. They have too much money tied up into players no one wants. Iverson will never be able to get the complementary players he needs, and the 76ers are left with only one play — trade Iverson.

What is his market value, though? Tracy McGrady straight up for “AI?” Who knows, but this summer might be the last for Iverson in the City of Brotherly Love.

No. 1. In the end, it will be New Jersey, who deserves a title after the last two years of disappointment.

The Nets will defeat the San Antonio Spurs in seven games, and Jason Kidd will win the MVP. Of course, that is this NBA junkie’s opinion, and I could be wrong.

Matt Miloszewski is a staff writer for The Pitt News and wishes everyone loved the NBA as much as he and a few of his friends do.